Monday, June 20, 2011

Derek Bailey - Ballads (2002)






Fact:          I love Math Rock.


If you haven't figured that out yet then you clearly don't follow this blog. But it can be exhausting if too much is consumed, hence today we have Derek Bailey. As its fathers day today for some reason it reminded me of this album. Bailey is a taste that divides listeners, Avant-garde improv. acoustic guitars. Now if that doesn't sound awesome then this is just not for you. Many of his releases even for me are just too much as far as an enjoyment stand point which is why I've always clung to Ballads. This was actually in response to many critics claims that maybe Derek had no clue how to "normally" play the guitar.  Well it kinda splits the difference with actually playing "straight" and his crazed picking and plucking.  Discontinuity between notes is one of the many things listeners will notice with his playing style. An idea or rhythm will disappear as quickly as it's played.  There is a longing feel to the album even a slight romantic bent but I cant say exactly why. Again most people are not going to be jamming this shit with their windows down this summer but I cant say I know too many acoustic guitar players that use this much emotion in their composition and playing style.

Ballads 

No comments:

Post a Comment