Saturday, January 12, 2013

dedleaves (2012)


There's something incredibly charming about this 4 piece instrumental group from Baltimore...I dont know if I have hit on it just yet but I am really enjoying this first effort. I wouldn't classify this as math rock but there is plenty of rhythmic complexity for any mathnick to nod in satisfaction. Something that is missing from a good amount of progressive group's such as dedleaves is ATMOSPHERE. These guys have zero problem with that aspect and maybe thats what I can appreciate the most that makes them so special. Each song is structured interestingly as well moving seamlessly into new passages. Which pretty much brings us into the very clear post-rock end of this music.  Incredibly solid album. no duds. Grab this up. Loving it

2 comments:

  1. Thanks guys! We're actually working on new material as we speak!

    -dedleaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear!

      I really appreciate the array and contrast of guitar tones throughout, as I know how hard it can be to use pedals and effects in a tasteful and coherent manner that doesn't just make a song busy for the sake of being being busy.

      I haven't listened to the full album, and I'm usually pretty dismissive of most things that fall anywhere near the "post-rock" tag, but I'm finding this to be really satisfying. Like acey said, great atmosphere and interesting song structures.

      Delete